RE: devfs again, (was RE: USB device allocation)

Stephen Frost (sfrost@ns.snowman.net)
Thu, 7 Oct 1999 13:34:31 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 7 Oct 1999, Jakma, Paul wrote:

> > rename the mouse?
> > >
> > > No. Used symlinks, which, with devfsd, BTW, are persistent.
> >
> > A thought, that I'm sure has been said before, but...
> >
> > /devices -- devfs mountpoint
> > /dev -- symlinks in to /devices
> >

> or maybe:
>
> /devices -- devfs
> /dev -- normal /dev.
>
> devfsd updates the specials in /dev as and when /devices changes.

Yes, but it'd be nice to somehow handle the issue of running
out of major,minor pairs, so if we could do what you're suggesting,
but somehow only have one major,minor used (Or something) that will
basically say 'go talk to devfs' that'd be nice. Unfortunatly I
don't have a clue how you'd get that to work...
You could almost just allocate a block of major,minor's that
devfs could use and then just start counting from 0 the devices in
the system. This is kind of ugly though, and when you add something
in to the system you either break everything, or have devfsd fix it
all, but then you're back to entries in /dev changing, and the other
problem of what happens when a major,minor changes while someone has
it open'ed...
I guess the problem as I see it is a way to keep what device
has what dynamically assigned major,minor the same between reboots..

Stephen