Re: Trouble with SMC Ether II (epic100) and new computer

Thierry Danis (danis@sagem.fr)
Wed, 6 Oct 1999 19:06:54 +0200

On Wed, Oct 06, 1999 at 12:54:51PM +0200, Thierry Danis wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We are using SMC Ether II cards (epic100 driver) on a few machines
> here (10 machines, Asus P2B mother board Celeron 333 or Asus SMP MB
> with dual PII 400), and it is working fine with every kernels ranging from
> 2.2.5 to 2.2.12 (not tried before 2.2.5). So far so good.
>
> I recently received a new machine : PIII 500, Asus P3BF mother board,
> SMC Ether II card.
>
> I am unable to get it work properly. Network installation is not working
> (RH 6.1, RH 6.0), whether NFS or FTP. Once installed (from a CDROM),
> NFS dies or the whole machine freezes. If I install a tulip (21140)
> card, everything is OK again. Of course, nothing indicating any trouble
> in the logs.
>
> So, 2 questions : is the new combination PIII/MB P3BF/SMC incompatible ?
>
> Could a newer driver help (1.06) ?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> A+,
> --

Following myself, I found that version 1.06 works correctly
with my setup. Could the driver be integrated in the main
tree ? (I guess the answer will be : it's up to Donald to
provide the new drivers to Linus :-)

As a side question, not related to l-k, could someone give
me some indication on how regenerating a proper RH 6.1
bootable image once I have recompiled the kernel-2.2.12-20.src.rpm
package ? (ie, how running the different mkboot, mkinitrd,
updmodules, etc. scripts found on the install RH 6.1 CD).

Thanks in advance,
A+,

--
	Thierry Danis