Re: Red Hat 6.1 version.h modifications

Ben Collins (bcollins@debian.org)
Wed, 6 Oct 1999 12:58:46 -0400

On Wed, Oct 06, 1999 at 11:51:40AM -0400, kernel@kvack.org wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Oct 1999, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
>
> > According to kernel@kvack.org:
> > >
> > > Please explain how third party modules are to be compiled on such a
> > > system? I have frequently have users calling tech support that need to
> > > know.
> >
> > #! /usr/bin/make
> >
> > CFLAGS += -I/usr/src/linux-`uname -r` -I/usr/src/linux
>
> Bzzzt. Unless Debian has changed something recently, their shipped kernel
> source doesn't include the config and version information require to
> seamlessly build modules out of the box. For cases when a driver has to
> ship separately from the kernel, this means they have to go out and
> properly configure, compile and install the kernel, and know what they're
> doing in order to use the driver. This is too much to expect from every
> single new user.

Debian's glibc includes the kernel headers it was built with directly in
/usr/include/{linux,asm,scsi}. Further more the config is installed as
/boot/config-2.2.x. Note, this is with slink and potato. And yes the
source.deb does include the config used for the stock kernels. Each arch -
i386, sparc, alpha, ... - has a seperate patch package that installs over
the pristine source so you can get the config and diff used to compile
that kernel.

Ben