Re: [offtopic] Re: Microsoft Web Site [Ignore them please]

Bernard Wei (bwei@home.com)
Wed, 06 Oct 1999 09:28:04 -0400

Bernhard Rosenkraenzer wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Oct 1999, Rik van Riel wrote:
>
> > I'm willing to collect those responses and put them up
> > on the web as one nice coherent document.
>
> Ok - guess you already have a lot of those, but first of all here are a
> couple of definite wrongs that could even be used to sue Microsoft (they'd
> do it to us if we wrote something similar about NT - I suggest we at
> least contact them and threaten we'll do the same unless they correct
> themselves!):

Any misinformation found there must have been deliberately put there
to generate reactions from the Linux community. Please ignore them.

Think about it: Why sending a list of satisfy linux users to them?
So that they can target their marketing power on these users?
Why correct them of their misconception? (whether deliberately put
there or not) Why argue with them when we knew all they will do is
ignore us? Probably covering their ears and chat NT is better,
NT is better...

If you post a response, it is easy to prove some of those responses are
wrong by simply a case or two where it doesn't apply. This would make
their propaganda even more believable. We end up throwing the ball
back and fore... At lease now, most knowledgeable people know there
is something wrong in those article and I'll leave it at that.

Responding to such things will only waste developers' time, slow down
linux development, make us target the wrong area of development. We
could end up trying to improve on insignificant areas of the kernel
while the important technology are falling behind.

Why don't we just drop this thread and work on problems we have here?
There are definite IDE/SMP/Network/crash threads floating around for
some time.

--
Bernard