Re: [linux-usb] Re: USB device allocation

Alex Nicolaou (anicolao@mud.cgl.uwaterloo.ca)
Wed, 06 Oct 1999 11:37:31 -0400

"Theodore Y. Ts'o" wrote:
> I claim that there are better interfaces than readdir() +
> stat() and a dynamic filesystem in order to pass this information to
> userspace, though, and I hope most people would agree with me. Why
> don't we try to design that interface first, and I suspect the rest will
> follow relatively easily.

Can you propose a better interface?

I don't really understand your comment, because the UNIX filesystem has
always been the namespace for operating system objects. Whether the
objects in the namespace live on disk or in memory (/proc) the purpose
of the filesystem has traditionally been to expose kernel level objects
to user space. The filesystem interface provides security and
polymorphism in a consistent package.

If there's one feature missing it's the ability to be notified when an
inode is modified.

So please propose a better interface or explain why my commentary above
is incorrect.

alex