Re: Red Hat 6.1 version.h modifications

Bernhard Rosenkraenzer (bero@redhat.de)
Wed, 6 Oct 1999 11:48:13 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 5 Oct 1999, Zack Brown wrote:

> Dave Mandala over here at Linuxcare upgraded to Red Hat 6.1 and his ESS
> Maestro 2 soundcard module stopped working. It was only by doing a reinstall
> of the module that he discovered Red Hat's changes to version.h (and added
> files) -- see below.
>
> It seems like this could break anything that checks version.h; or am I
> wrong?

You are. The entire point behind the version.h changes is that
applications will see the kernel we're actually using, and not a different
one.
In particular, this is because UTS_RELEASE should say different things
about up and smp kernels.

The only check this change would break is something along the lines of
using grep and sed to check for a value.
Autoconf, for example, doesn't do this; it uses the preprocessor (thereby
including /boot/kernel.h) before running any checks.

LLaP
bero