RE: [linux-usb] Re: USB device allocation

David Waite (mass@ufl.edu)
Wed, 6 Oct 1999 00:32:20 -0400

I think persistance in this case is meant to mean persistant device
permissions, not persistant device locations. Indeed, the very problem is
that devices are _not_ persistant.

And I agree with you Michael about the devices (and therefore device nodes)
not being persistant being a hinderance with the file-oriented UNIX system.
But there are several other UNIX philosophies (for instance, easy
scriptability) that make it still neccessary.

But I do definately believe that there is a way to have file-level access to
a dynamic system much better than the current /dev/* structure with
major/minor numbers. It just takes a little bit of arguing, and a lot of
code (or was that the other way around? ;-))

-David Waite