Re: SMP system panic with down/up calls for locking. Need help on as sembly compiling.

Andi Kleen (ak@muc.de)
06 Oct 1999 02:09:44 +0200

yiding_wang@am.exch.hp.com (WANG,YIDING (HP-SanJose,ex1)) writes:

> Under SMP (8 CPUs) system with 2.2.5-15smp kernel, when adding down()/up()
> pair for critical section locking purpose in my fibre channel driver (to
> system, it is scsi), system panic. Acutually even under UP system,
> involving this pair of function cause trouble. Without those semaphore
> lock, it works fine for quite a while.

Sounds you're trying to use it in bottom half/interrupt context. This
is forbidden. You need to use a spinlock for this case.

-Andi

--
This is like TV. I don't like TV.