Re: USB device allocation

Brian Swetland (swetland@be.com)
Tue, 5 Oct 1999 13:53:48 -0700

[David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se>]

> > > The desperate need for devfs becomes all more clear.
> > >

> > Actually, the need is for a decent-sized dev_t.
>
> With a decently sized dev_t we will still have the problem with a
> cluttered /dev directory. With devfs we won't. And if you still want your
> standard, cluttered, /dev directory, you can still have it with devfs. So
> I can't really understand you being so negative in regard to devfs.

Tradition! Big 'ol arrays and clutter are obviously better than a
dynamic solution. Hot-plugable devices are a myth made up by people
who don't realize that all hardware can be detected when you compile
your kernel the way it should be. Config files are for people too dumb
to recompile things when configurations change. That's sarcasm, btw.

Brian