Re: cannot delete directory - why?

Malcolm Beattie (mbeattie@sable.ox.ac.uk)
Tue, 5 Oct 1999 17:14:28 +0100 (BST)

Andreas Schwab writes:
> Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au> writes:
>
> |> Hello,
> |>
> |> I can't seem to delete the following directory:
> |>
> |> snoopy# pwd
> |> /homes/diskless/slink/root/dev
> |> snoopy# ls -ld pts
> |> drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Oct 2 15:20 pts
>
> I think you have a corrupted filesystem. A directory inode with a zero
> size but nonzero link count does not look sane.

No, it's normal. /dev/pts is the root of the pseudo-terminal
filesystem. It's not a "real" filesystem so the size shows as 0.
Since it's a mounted filesystem, you can't remove the directory.
Unmounting it (when it isn't busy) will get rid of it but I doubt
that's really what's wanted (I haven't read the original query,
though).

--Malcolm

--
Malcolm Beattie <mbeattie@sable.ox.ac.uk>