Re: Kernel 2.2.11 crash...

Andrea Arcangeli (kernel@kvack.org)
Tue, 5 Oct 1999 11:18:30 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 5 Oct 1999, Mike A. Harris wrote:

> VMWARE's kernel modules come WITH the source code, and have done
> so from day one. I just wanted to make this out in the open so
> that people don't start bashing them over it.
>
> The code is not GPL, or at least doesn't appear so, however it is
> certainly there, and can be recompiled for whatever kernel you
> are using. I've done so myself in the past no problem.

Therein lies the problem. I (and probably others) will not look into the
source for the vmware modules precisely because it is not GPL'd and may
contaminate me against working on a project like freemware. They may well
consider the techniques they use in their code a trade secret, and I don't
want to be in the middle of a legal war.

> Well again, that is not entirely true. It is not a black box,
> but rather an open-source box for all to see. The userland
> application "vmware", etc.. is a black box, but then that isn't
> in kernel anyways.

For all kernel developers, working on code that is not free (as in
freedom) is dangerous business, and the safest way to deal with it is to
treat it as a black box.

-ben