Re: how to log kernel oops message and how to submit a problem?

Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Tue, 05 Oct 1999 07:56:17 +1000

On Fri, 1 Oct 1999 13:31:42 +0900,
"Rainer Mager" <rvm@gol.com> wrote:
>I read through the Documentation/oops-tracing.txt file but the biggest
>problem is that the oops messages are not showing up in my log files. I'm
>hesitant to write down the whole message unless I am sure it will help
>someone.
>Also, if the problem is SCSI related that could explain why the oops
>can't write to the log files, because the SCSI is already dead.

If you cannot write your log files to disk then you have three options.

(1) Write the oops down by hand and type it in later. Some people have
photographed the screen to get it right.

(2) Use a serial console (Documentation/serial-console.txt) and capture
the data on a second machine.

(3) Use one of the patches that save the logs to video RAM or a floppy.
Try http://www-miaif.lip6.fr/willy/pub/linux-patches/kmsgdump/.