smbfs hangs? (was Re: Process stuck in D state.)

Steve Dodd (dirk@loth.demon.co.uk)
Mon, 4 Oct 1999 21:08:28 +0100

On Mon, Oct 04, 1999 at 02:05:34AM -0400, Mike A. Harris wrote:

> Using the 2.2.11 kernel, I have a slew of Midnight commander
> processes stuck in the "D" dead state. They will NOT leave my
> process table period.
>
> I had an SMB share mounted over the internet via PPP. That is a
> remote share mounted locally on my machine.

Hmm, there was a report a few days ago about something similar to this (from
<zinx@linuxfreak.com>, I believe). I did eventually spend about 30 seconds
trying to reproduce it, and failed. IIRC, the processes that were trying to
access the smb fs weren't SIGINTable but could be SIGKILL'd. I did notice at
work that it's impossible to smbumount smbfs's that were connected to dead or
rebooted servers. If I ever have any free time I might poke my nose into this,
after I've sorted out my current weird PPP problem (downloads max out the
connection, but uploads fizzle out and die..); is anyone actively maintaining
smbfs?

W.r.t the hanging processes, does ps l show anything useful, or does it just
give the address of __down or similar? If the latter, hacking the semaphore
deadlock detection stuff out of Andrea's IKD might be instructive, it's just
a few lines of code in sched.c, ISTR.

--
Satellite Safety Tip #14:
    If you see a bright streak in the sky coming at you, duck.