Re: Re: Re: Is ide-scsi + scsi-cdrom a replacement for ide-cdrom?

Scott Marlowe (smarlowe@ihs.com)
Mon, 4 Oct 1999 09:55:29 -0600 (MDT)

Here where I work we've had to do a lot of work with jukeboxes (60 to 1440
CDs in a unit, multiple units on site etc...) and if you HAVE to use a
jukebox, get an NSM mercury. Low failure rate, high quality and easy to
work on. Most of the others are just crap that breaks too much.

We found that stacks of Pioneer changers were far more reliable for the
average user since a single failure meant only 6 platters were down,
whereas in a jukebox a single drive failure could kill most server side
jukebox control software. Throw in an extra changer at no cost to the
customer and you've got a spare for insurance.

I think a small bank of tower machines with multiple IDE interfaces and
all shared under dfs or some such thing as a single share would be a cheap
and reliable solution to the jukebox dilemma.

Scott Marlowe email: smarlowe@ihs.com (work)
Systems Engineer phone: (303)858-6106