Re: access beyond end of device errors in 2.2.12/13pre12

Mark Hagger (mhagger@dera.gov.uk)
Mon, 4 Oct 1999 10:19:59 +0100

On Fri, 01 Oct 1999, you wrote:
> Hi Mark,
> I'm currently seeing some data corruption problems
> under high IO loads as well. My Evidence is pointing
> to a Linux disk driver layer buffer cache corruption
> under SMP, but I still need to run more tests to be
> sure.
> Could you tell me whether you are using SCSI
> disks and if you are what kind of controller you
> have?
>
> Thanks
> Gokhan Sozmen

I'm using Ultra2 LVD drives, with an Adaptec AIC7xxx controller (AIC-7890), and
this is all with stock 2.2.12 and 2.2.12 with memory leak bug fixed.

I've also recently tried compiling the kernel with no IDE support (I only
have a CDROM and floppy on the machines as well), and reverting the
ll_rw_block.c in stock 2.2.12 back to the version from 2.2.5 (the last kernel
that definitely didn't show these errors), I don't actually know if this was a
sensible thing to do but I thought I'd give it a whirl! Anyhow, neither of
these changes made any difference, I still got the same errors going to the
syslog. However, without looking too hard I don't seem to have got the file
corruption that I saw before these changes (yet, the code is still running!).

Mark