Re: Linux Trademark -- what are the rules for lawful use of the word

Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Sun, 3 Oct 1999 19:28:57 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 3 Oct 1999, Jan Vicherek wrote:

>Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 14:34:33 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Jan Vicherek <honza@ied.com>
>To: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
>Subject: Linux Trademark -- what are the rules for lawful use of the word
"Linux" ?

>Linux Trademark -- what are the rules for lawful use of the word "Linux" ?
>
>Does Linus hold "the right to bust whomever I want" for any use of the
>word "Linux" that he doesn't approve of, or has he declared a set of uses
>that he does approve of ?
>
> Any pointers would be appreciated.

Unfortunately, your message violates the acceptable usage of the
trademark of the operating system we all use (L*N*X). Using the
term without prior permission in writing from Mr. Torvalds can
carry steep penalties. Quoting the term (as I've done by quoting
your message) is ok, however using it on anything new, is
strictly forbidden unless you obtain permission from Linus.

I hope his lawyers don't have a field day with you...

Good luck.

;o)

--
Mike A. Harris                                     Linux advocate
Computer Consultant                                  GNU advocate

[insert witty random tagline or cool URL here]