Re: IDE + SMP Lockup (no OOPS) in 2.2.12, 2.2.10

Rob van Nieuwkerk (robn@verdi.et.tudelft.nl)
Mon, 4 Oct 1999 01:44:03 +0200 (CEST)

Rogier Wolff wrote:

> Ok, sure, of course. I know that. However as 99% of the users won't be
> reading enough manuals to do the hdparm -u1, it is still neccesary to
> find out why the 128-byte-fifo-uart is losing characters, while the
> standard 16-byte-fifo-uart isn't.
>
> Turns out the trigger level on the new UART was set at 112. That's 16
> before the end. Reducing the trigger level 32, fixed a lot, but still
> I was able to overrun the new uart at 19k2, while I couldn't overflow
> the 16550 at 115k2.

Hi,

Something related:

Since I've switched to 2.2.x from 2.0.36 I see serial overruns
on my modem-link (something like every minute during a download).
Yes, I know about "hdparm -u1" ..

Same hardware, same config, same software. Only different kernel.
I have *never* seen any overrun with 2.0.x.
It happens on a Cyrix 486 DX2/66 and not on an Intel 486/33.
I have never been able to trace the problem. It's weird.

I can dig up detailed bug-reports I sent to linux-kernel some
time ago (never got any response) in case anyone is interested.

greetings,
Rob van Nieuwkerk