Re: Network-related Oopses on 2.2.13pre14

Andi Kleen (ak@muc.de)
04 Oct 1999 00:16:07 +0200

andrea@suse.de (Andrea Arcangeli) writes:

> I noticed an irq race into the backlog handling (as backlog is shared by
> all netdevice, so netif_rx will continue to run inside irq handlers of
> other netdevices and so it can easily race with dev_clear_backlog).
>
> I don't expect it to cure the problem but I think you can give it a try ;).

I don't expect it to fix any problems. Interrupts never remove packets
from the backlog, only add them. dev_clear_backlog is protected against other
contexts by the kernel lock in 2.2. Your patch would protect against
interrupts removing packets. This cannot happen.

-Andi

--
This is like TV. I don't like TV.