RE: DriveReady SeekComplete Error, DriveStatusError BadCRC

Tom Livingston (tsl@volition.org)
Sat, 2 Oct 1999 00:12:37 -0700

Andre Hedrick wrote:
> Mark Hahn wrote:
> > this is just a reminder: IDE requires that your cable is <= 18",
> > and that you use the end connectors first (no stubs).
> > udma66 also requires a special cable with extra ground conductors
> > (these cables work fine for sub-udma66 as well).
>
> Yes they do.......at 24-inch 80 conductor udma66 parts will do ATA-33 at
> 24-inches............imperical tests only.

I had a pair of custom 80 conductor udma66 cables custom made for my udma33
use. I bought one 24" long, and another that was 28". Both worked fine in
the 2.2.26 era, but were generating a lot of CRC errors with 2.2.10. I had
to replace both of them with 18" cables to get the machine to stay alive...
though I did run this box with the longer udma66 for months with 2.2.6
without significant issue. So I wouldn't suggest trying to use one for a
quick extension.

In general, this has been my experience... That lately the code is very
sensitive to the ide cable I am using... in my box with 8 ide interfaces. I
believe I've replaced all of my cables at least once ;( ... sometimes more
than once... trying to completely get rid of CRC errors. I wonder if with
so many ide cables in the box I am getting crostalk between them? Almost
all of them run essentially parallel to each other.

tom