Re: PROBLEM: Linux does not recognice more then 39000 Users

Bernd Eckenfels (ecki@lina.inka.de)
Sat, 02 Oct 1999 07:23:52 +0200

In article <017DB9741F74D211997E00104BDB7DE303CFD6@MSDDUS20NTS> you wrote:
> [1.] One line summary of the problem:
> Linux does not recognice more than 39000 users

Actually I guess it is 32768. uid_t is supoed to be unsigned integer, but it
looks like some applications are using it as a signed integer, therefore
32768 is the allowed max. Hmm.. on my system I dont have a problem with a
uid of 65533 (glibc2.1), shadow-password.

> We are running a freemail-server on a Linux-box.

Why do u generate real unix users fo that in the first place? There are a
lot of pop-servers around which only need one uid. For example qmail-pop3
with a virtual checkpassword.

/usr/include/bits/types.h:typedef unsigned int __u_int;
/usr/include/bits/types.h:typedef __u_int __uid_t; /* Type of user identifications. */

Greetings
Bernd