smbmount: directories don't update with NT shares

Martin Krzywinski (martink@physics.ubc.ca)
Fri, 1 Oct 1999 22:10:43 -0700

This has been driving me a little batty. I'm mounting an NT share onto a
2.2.12 box with smbmount //ntbox/sharename but directory listings on Linux
do not reflect the latest NT directory contents.

In detail,

The mount goes OK but the directory listing appears STATIC. That is, files
changed on the NT box do not appear when doing "ls" on the linux box. Files
deleted on the NT box do appear deleted on the Linux box. Files added on the
NT box do not appear on the Linux box with "ls" however "ls filename" will
show the file. Copying all files from the mount point will copy these
invisible files. I can add/delete files on the Linux box and the changes
immediately show up on the NT box, as expected.

smbclient works perfectly file and sees the file changes immediately, as
expected.

What could be causing this directory caching ... ??? Since smbmout is a
subset of smbclient functionality, I'm wondering why smbmount would not work
when smbclient is alright. I'm using the 2.0.5a distribution and have taken
smbmnt/smbmount/smbumount from the client subtree of the Samba distribution
after compiling with --with-smbmount.

Is this a kernel issue? I can't believe I'm the only one with this
problem --- but have found very little mention of such a problem in groups
etc.

humph,

martin