Re: OT: Linux and the Tyan 1837 Thunderbolt

HA Quoc Viet (qvha@axlog.fr)
Fri, 01 Oct 1999 16:08:17 +0200

Lou Grinzo wrote:

> I apologize for the off-topic post, but I'm having a really hard
> time finding out definitively whether the current major Linux
> distributions support the SCSI chip used on the Tyan 1837
> motherboard. The chip is the AIC-7896, and I've seen numerous
> references to the 7895 and the 789x series being supported, but
> I've yet to find something that explicitly mentions the 7896.
>
> Since I will be running tests with borrowed hardware which isn't
> in my possession yet, I need to answer this question soon and
> unambiguously.
>
> Also--if anyone can tell me how the chip is supported (natively,
> patch needed, whatever), that would also be appreciated.

don't worry, just compile your usual kernel with support for
the low level device driver adaptec AIC7xxx, and you should be
rocking just fine.

HA Quoc Viet Rue du 8 Mai 1945 -o)
Axlog Ingenierie Arceuil 94110 /\\
+33 (0) 01 41 24 31 21 France _\_v