Re: Zip- Drive

Moritz Franosch (jfranosc@axon.t30.physik.tu-muenchen.de)
30 Sep 1999 22:49:24 +0200

bstegen@tiscalinet.it (Bastian Stegen) writes:

> Hello to all,
>
> I would like to know how I can make work my IDE Zip-Drive under linux. EG.
> Can you tell me what kind of filesystem it has?

The driver is in the kernel (the option is called IDE/ATAPI Floppy
support).

IDE ZIP drives are configured/mounted/partitioned like any IDE HDD.
I.e. you use
'fdisk /dev/hd?'
(?=a for first IDE device and so on) to partition the ZIP disk and
'mke2fs /dev/hd?1'
to make an ext2 Filesystem on Partition 1 and
'mount -t ext2 /dev/hd?1 /mountpoint'
to mount Partition 1. So the ZIP disk can have any filesystem you
want.

If it is a pre-formatted ZIP disk, it's probably mounted by
'mount -t vfat /dev/hd?4 /mountpoint'.
(Partition number 4 gets the letter 'F:' under DOS I think, that's
because it's pre-partitioned so obscure by default.)

Documentation is in this HOWTO:
http://doc.rmplc.co.uk/linux/LDP/HOWTO/mini/ZIP-Drive.html

Moritz