Re: [Q]: Linux and real device drivers

Erik Mouw (J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl)
Thu, 30 Sep 99 19:20:13 +0200

On Thu, 30 Sep 1999 16:48:10 +0200, Drizzt wrote:
> Decía David Weinehall:
>>
>> Is it really? We sure as hell can do a lot that Windows can do, and quite
>> a few of these things (like stability, speed etc.) is because we don't tie
>> down ourselves with binary compability.
> This is a BAD thing. If you don't mantain binary compatibily _at least_ in
> stable realeases, all could be a nightmare. Last time someone changes de
> libstdc++ for example, I have to recompile ALL kde. I don't know WHY, binary
> compatibily in stables releases are bad. And no, I no have time to recompile
> all system for every interface change. I have to study and work too.

You mean binary compatibility in the *same* stable release. You are
probably referring to the compatibility between g++ 2.7.2.x, g++ 2.8.x,
and g++ 2.95.x: that's comparing *between* stable releases. Those C++
compiler versions are indeed not binary compatible, and it is done for
good reasons.

Erik

Phone: +31-15-2785859  Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl