Re: high load on heavy disk i/o (fwd)

Jasper Berlijn (jasper@il.fontys.nl)
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 11:31:20 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, Ronald Wahl wrote:
> From: Ronald Wahl <rwahl@gmx.net> To: linux-scsi
> > after installing a new disk (IBM DNES-309170W U2W SE/LVD - was cheaper
> > than the UW model :-) on my SYMBIOS Controller (sym53c875 rev. 4). I
> > noticed that during heavy disk i/o (e.g. creating a cdrom image or doing
> > "cat /dev/zero > some_file") the load goes up to 3 or more and the system
> > becomes totally unusable. Mostly all programs called during this time
Hi,

Using an Adaptec AHA-2940A Ultra SCSI with the same high i/o stuff
(e.g. creating a cdrom image (from one hd-disk to another one))
The system will slow down like a slow turtle. eg a xterm launch
will take about a 1/2 minute to get itselfs on the screen.

Sometimes it even seems like the system had crashed. (no response
from the mouse cursor etc)

And the systems response get worser when the copied files are
bigger. >100mb

Almost all 2.2.x seems to be affected (running 2.2.13pre14 at
this moment)

The logs reveals nothing what could indicate a problem.

grt,

- Jasper

+-----
| PGP-key: finger jasper@il.fontys.nl |