Re: Why no printk for duplicate IPs?

Christopher McCrory (chrismcc@netus.com)
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 22:43:20 +0000

Hello...

John Fulmer wrote:

<snip>

> The way I've seen this done (on BSDI boxen, I think) is that the system
> does an arp for it's own IP address before/as the interface is brought up.
> It it gets a response, it assumes that there is another box out there with
> the same IP address (not a BAD assumption).

This IIRC is a gratuitous arp. In the kernel source I have seen
references to it but I have never actually seen on used in a linux box.
I first noticed this when moving a virtual ip address from one machine
to another. No gratuitous arp. Then I also noticed the same behaviour
on the "main" nic ip address.

> BSDI is nice about this -- it complains about the duplicate IP address a
> few times to the system console, but it still configures the interface and
> goes on about its business. I've always liked the way BSDI does this, and
<snip>

Would this be the responsibiliy of the kernel in kernel space or
ifconfig in user space?

--

Christopher McCrory Lead Bithead, Netus Inc. chrismcc@netus.com admin@netus.com

"Linux: Because rebooting is for adding new hardware"