Re: Is ide-scsi + scsi-cdrom a replacement for ide-cdrom?

Jens Axboe (axboe@image.dk)
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 19:35:54 +0200

On Wed, Sep 29 1999, Zygo Blaxell wrote:
> I'm more interested in things that the IDE CD driver can do that IDE-SCSI
> + SCSI-CDROM can't. I am tempted to create a kernel binary, for possible
> distribution to N people on CD, that contains the IDE-SCSI emulation layer
> and SCSI CD-ROM support _instead of_ IDE-CDROM support. This makes IDE
> CD-R drivers work, among other things.
>
> Is this a good idea? So far the only problem I've heard about is that
> CD changers don't work through the IDE-SCSI layer (I used to have one of
> those, too, but unfortunately I don't any more). Is there some equivalent
> SCSI command that can be sent to such drivers through the IDE-SCSI layer?

In upcoming kernels, changer support will work equally well
with ATAPI, SCSI and IDE-SCSI so that should not be an issue. ide-cd
contains work arounds for faulty hardware that you will miss. I
think the best solution would be a setup with both ide-scsi
and ide-cd, running ordinary drives with ide-cd and cd-r/w
with ide-scsi.

--
*  Jens Axboe <axboe@image.dk>
*  Linux CD-ROM Maintainer