Re: CONFIG_INET_RARP

Pekka Pietikainen (pp@netppl.fi)
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 14:25:04 +0300

On Wed, Sep 29, 1999 at 10:53:31AM +0100, Matthew Kirkwood wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, Alan Cox wrote:
>
> > > Doesn't seem to exist on i386 in 2.3.18. Is there s reason for this,
> > > or is it a mistake?
> >
> > RARP is better done in userspace. Its been on the "kick out" list for
> > about 3 years. Alexey finally did the deed
>
> Does a userspace implementation actually exist, or do I have to learn
> bootp to get my sparc booting?
There is a userspace rarpd that works in
ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/mirrors/ftp.inr.ac.ru/ip-routing/dhcp.bootp.rarp/
There is just one problem with it, it doesn't really compile on a
2.3.x/glibc2.1 based system, and making it compile doesn't seem to be
a trivial job either.

I made a statically linked binary with libc5 of it that works
(atleast with my sun3/60) in 2.3.18, if anyone needs it I put it in
http://www.netppl.fi/~pp/rarpd