Re: [Q]: Linux and real device drivers

Towers, Tim (ttowers@MLE.CO.UK)
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 10:02:34 +0100

Dear Alex,

You're a troll but I can't resist...

Alex Buell <alex.buell@tahallah.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:<Pine.LNX.4.10.9909270801001.21284-100000@tahallah.demon.co.uk>...
> On Mon, 27 Sep 1999 tytso@mit.edu wrote:
>
> [ snip ]
> > I hope not! That's downright embarassing.
>
> But the advantages are that it forces clueless lusers to learn a lot more
> about the differences between Linux and a certain shrink wrapped product
> from a certain company in Seattle

Simce when was having to do extra, unnecessary
work a good thing. Remember that Linus himself
uses a distribution. I can't believe you're mad
enough to roll your own distribution just so
you'd learn more.

Computers are tools, if they're not "working"
then they're an expensive room heater.

> , and teaches them the concepts and
> advantages of in open source software. The more literate people becomes,
> the more they know,

There's a difference between being able to
do something and wanting to. AND, to deny
the advantages of linux to the general
population would be a crime.

> the less they can have the wool pulled over their eyes
> by the likes of Micro$not.

For drivers, they're leagues ahead of us.

> I'd rather have more literate people and less clueless people out there..

If it hurts, people wont do it.

Tim