Re: [Q]: Linux and real device drivers

Towers, Tim (ttowers@MLE.CO.UK)
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 09:56:35 +0100

Dear Alan,

Back-porting drivers have to go through
you (well, with 2.0 and 2.2). How well do
you scale, and wouldn't you rather be doing
more exciting things...

From a more realistic line, a low-linux
skilled user (e.g. a school or my mum) can
do simple things like call up web pages and
type simple commands. We're going to have to
provide a method for hardware vendors to
cater for this class of user because this is
their main market.

Downloading a file off the net, having it
run - prompting for the root password, then
having it compile a module, install it, then
exit should be enough.

Tim