RE: The limitation of scsi target and lun supported under Linux?

Matthew Jacob (mjacob@feral.com)
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 14:07:07 -0700 (PDT)

> On Tue, 28 Sep 1999, Matthew Jacob wrote:
>

> > On Tue, 28 Sep 1999, WANG,YIDING (HP-SanJose,ex1) wrote:
> >

> > > The scsi support depends on two sources. One from OS target driver
> > > and another from spec. Even wide scsi support 16 targets, most Unix
> > > OSes support 32 and more. For example, Solaris support 128 target and
> >
> > Wrong. 65535.
>
> Aaahhh. And now we see one major reason to use devfs... I simply can't
> imagine the horror of using the present device-system with 65535 targets &
> 256 luns...

Oh, absolutely. No argument here at all against devfs from me. It gets
even worse if you use the full SCCLUN hierarchy- 64 bits of lun (which can
be laid out multiple ways).