Re: Castlewood EIDE *removable* disk vs 2.2.5

Guest section DW (dwguest@win.tue.nl)
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 22:27:42 +0200 (MET DST)

From: Perry Wagle <wagle@cse.ogi.edu>

>>> hdc: CASTLEWOOD ORB2-E, ATA DISK drive

>> It reports itself as a fixed drive.

It is not yet clear from this line whether it announces itself as removable.
(But no doubt you are right.)

> What should it report? (I can argue with them better if I have a suggestion)

As I wrote yesterday, bit 7 of the first (config) word of the
data returned by the IDENTIFY DRIVE command should be set.
It indicates a removable drive. The phenomena you report
indicate that this drive does not do this.

On the other hand, if I am not mistaken these disks can be instructed
by software to report themselves as either Fixed or Removable,
where Fixed is the from-factory default. If that is true then
only the default is wrong, and you can correct things using a
suitable ATA command.
It would be interesting to know precisely which commands are used
for that job.
Maybe someone can trace their DOS/Windows utility under dosemu
(or just ask them).

> PS. Without a disk inserted, the drive reports:

> # /sbin/hdparm -i /dev/hdc

> Model=CASTLEWOOD ORB2-E, FwRev=USR-3.85, SerialNo=19G04A06
> Config={ Fixed }
> RawCHS=4273/16/63
> CurCHS=4273/16/63, CurSects=-1192230847, LBA=yes, LBAsects=4307184

The CurSects looks funny, but is in fact OK:
LBAsects=4307184, in hex 41B8F0, and written big-endian
this becomes B8F00041, which is -1192230847 viewed as a
32-bit integer.

Andries