Re: The Linux Kernel Project Management System (INITIAL PROPOSAL)

Larry McVoy (lm@bitmover.com)
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 10:13:27 -0700

On Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 10:02:46AM -0500, Shawn Leas wrote:
> Larry... Could you clarify what would happen if you and your company were
> bombed by foreign terrorists? How would BK's license fair in allowing
> derivative works?

While I haven't written this down in detail, I've been consistent in this
answer for over a year.

BitKeeper uses open logging of your change comments on host[s] in the
openlogging.org domain. When/after we release 1.0, there will be a
web server on bitkeeper.openlogging.org where you can go to browse the
change logs.

The presence of that web server - and it's active updating - is a
requirement for the !GPL license. If that web server/domain/etc go away
for a continuous period of 6 months (with all the restrictions like
it can't be because California fell into the ocean), then the source
becomes GPLed.

In other words: if whatever corporation which happens to own the rights
to BK no longer cares enough to maintain the business model, or if they
have gone out of business, then you get it under the GPL.

Good enough?

--
---
Larry McVoy            	   lm@bitmover.com           http://www.bitmover.com/lm