Re: linux-kernel-digest V1 #4524

Larry McVoy (lm@bitmover.com)
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 21:00:47 -0700

On Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 01:45:03PM +0000, Peter Miller wrote:
> > Even though I happen to agree, in principle, with the policies
> > which Aegis enforces, that doesn't mean that they are right.
>
> Everyone is *always* free to roll their own. But, because they are
> not SCM experts, they will more than likely come up with an inferior
> solution. (To a very OLD problem I might add. Why do we insist
> on re-inventing this particular wheel?) Aegis provides a well-thought-out
> flexible shown-to-work set of policies. Not the only policies,
> but good ones.

I happen to think that both I and the vast majority of the people doing
kernel work disagree with you. Not about your policies but about your
model of sticking them in our faces.

But I can be wrong, I've been wrong before. So you get Linus, Alan, David,
Stephen, Mingo, and the other top 20 or so kernel hackers to agree that
your model is superior to BK and I'll happily go away. I started down this
path to make 'em something they would want to use, and I believe that I'm
doing an exceptionally good job. You don't. So get them to agree with
you. If you do, that's fine with me. The point is to get the problem
solved to their satisfaction.

So I point out the things that I see as problems in Aegis and I think
that my point of view is pretty widely shared amongst the senior people.
If I'm right, and you fix that stuff, then Aegis should be the cat's meow.

--
---
Larry McVoy            	   lm@bitmover.com           http://www.bitmover.com/lm