Re: The Linux Kernel Project Management System (INITIAL PROPOSAL)

Jordan Mendelson (jordy@wserv.com)
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 17:13:55 -0400

Larry McVoy wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 27, 1999 at 04:32:13PM -0400, Jordan Mendelson wrote:
> > distributing source among several repositories. The alternative solution is
> > written by Peter Miller and is known as Aegis. Aegis supports all the features
> > required for large project development including distributed repositories,
> > change sets, and simultaneous active branches.
>
> Cool. So explain to us how Aegis handles the following:
>
> . disconnected operation with updates to all repositories
> . undo - including things you don't do but incorporated
> . multiple views, each of which include some subset of the others
> . compressed repositories
> . disk and/or file systems which corrupt the underlying files
> . low bandwidth links

Peter Miller (the author of Aegis), submitted a proposal in March which
provides a much better overview of Aegis. What I provides was meant to glue
the different peices of a source management backend, a bug tracking system and
a peer review system to give people a better grasp on how project management
should work.

Aegis is open source and doesn't seem to have the licensing restrictions of
bitmover (unless the current licensing on the bitmover web site isn't
current). Take a look at it, see how it compares. I have found it to be a
pretty complete management system.

Anyway, his (long) post is available on MARC:
http://www.progressive-comp.com/Lists/?l=linux-kernel&m=92241232516116&w=2.
Here is the summary:

Summary for the Impatient

Source management is not enough. The Linux kernel is more than
the aggregation of its source files. A tool which supports the
the software development process for large teams is required.

Aegis supports large teams and large projects. Aegis is designed
around change sets. Aegis is designed around repository security
(availability, integrity and confidentiality). Aegis' distributed
development uses this existing mature functionality to keep two
or more repositories synchronized.

Aegis supports multiple repositories, multiple lines of
development, multiple distributed copies of repositories,
disconnected operation, and is security conscious.

Aegis is licensed under the GNU GPL.

Aegis is mature software. It is 8 years old. It has users all
around the world. It is actively being maintained and enhanced.

Aegis is easy to use. Is -is- big, it -does- have a lot of
functionality, but the essential process can be learned in less
than a day.

Aegis is available from

http://www.canb.auug.org.au/~millerp/aegis/

Please download it, plus one of the template projects, to get a
feel for the environment. If you would like more information,
there is also a Reference Manual and User Guide available from
the same place.

Jordan

--
Jordan Mendelson     : http://jordy.wserv.com