Re: The Linux Kernel Project Management System (INITIAL PROPOSAL)

Larry McVoy (lm@bitmover.com)
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 14:04:54 -0700

On Mon, Sep 27, 1999 at 04:41:57PM -0400, Jordan Mendelson wrote:
> Shawn Leas wrote:
> > It's continuing effort is to facilitate large scale projects like The
> > Kernel...
>
> I actually did take a look at it a while back, but I sort of like Aegis better
> because it allows a push (and pull) model of source distribution and
> distributed repositories.

BK has a distributed repository model with more than 8 years of proving
at Sun.

Furthermore, it seems that the push/pull model is supported by BK (in
fact, that's the only model supported):

$ bk help pull

USAGE
bk pull [-iqv]

The pull command is used to update your repository as painlessly as
possible. The default behaviour is to pull changes from your parent
repository and apply them with the minimal amount of human interaction.
If there are no over lapping changes (on a per line basis, not a per
file basis), then the changes are applied automatically. This may
not always produce the semantically correct result.

OPTIONS
-i force the resolution of changes to be interactive, do not
apply changes automatically
-q be quiet
-v be verbose (these stack, the more you do the more verbose it
gets, the default -is -vv)

pull also accepts all options valid for resync.

SEE ALSO
bk help parent
bk help pull
bk help resync

$ bk help push

USAGE
bk push [-qv]

The push command is used to update your parent repository with
your work. The push command will never create conflicts in the
parent repository, instead it first does an implicit pull to make
sure that your repository is a superset of your parent. If there
was new work in the parent, the push command will exit, to give
you a chance to rebuild your tree and verify that the pull worked.

If there is no new work in the parent, then the push command
updates the parent and applies the changes.

OPTIONS
-q be quiet
-v be verbose (-vv, -vvv, ... for even more detail)

push also accepts all options valid for resync.

SEE ALSO
bk help parent
bk help pull
bk help resync