Re: Turning lucent winmodem into soundcard (RT-Linux -when?)

Steve Underwood (steveu@infowebtelecom.com)
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 15:55:51 +0000

Jamie Lokier wrote:

> Steve Underwood wrote:
> > One word says no - homologation!
>
> Surely it is permitted for laptop owners to change the country setting?
>
> I would think it would violate homologation to use the wrong country
> setting for the country you are in... and laptops can travel a lot.
>
> -- Jamie

When you use a laptop modem (or any other modem) outside the
country/region in which it was sold you have no homologation approval.
Depending on local regulations you may be breaking the law. Of course, the
reality of travel today means everyone ignores this fact, and just plugs
in to their hotel phone socket.

Laptops with built in modems typically have the modem port covered up when
sold in most countries, because the modem is not approved there. If you
remove this cover you may find the modem is actually functional.... of
course, you may find they omitted the components too!

Steve