Re: Ext3 filesystem info?

Jesse Pollard (pollard@tomcat.admin.navo.hpc.mil)
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 09:12:43 -0500 (CDT)

From: Bear Giles <bear@coyotesong.com>
>Finally, once that's stable we can decide how to handle non-native ACLs
>(e.g., those that require 128-bit UUIDs). We might lose some of the
>transparency that VFS is intended to provide, but that's an unfortunate
>reflection of the tremendous variety in how different groups handle ACLs.
>I would hate to see us delay ACLs for months so we can handle NTFS,
>only to have that filesystem be changed in a way that invalidates the
>work.

The problem is that selecting a very minimalist implementation too early
can force a complete redesign replacement later. If we try to keep it
down to just a block of data , and allow the individual filesystems to
determine the semantic interpretation then we can implement any kind of
ACL desired, and not have to replace everything.