Re: Newer Patch: CPU-detection for older processors (<586)

David Weinehall (tao@acc.umu.se)
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 14:11:51 +0200 (MET_DST)

On Mon, 27 Sep 1999, Rogier Wolff wrote:

> David Weinehall wrote:
> >
> > Oh, and there's quite a lot of slack spaces and a few ^M (that is, DOS
> > linebreaks), could you remove them? I'm being nitpicky now, but why have
> > 8 spaces when you can have one tab...
>
> I disagree with the "nitpicky" part. This is not nitpicky.
>
> Really, it's MUCH better to have the tabs/spaces thing right. It means
> that the source formats OK for people with tabspacing=4 too.
>
> if (...) {
> printk (KERN_WARN "This is a test. %d %d %d\n",
> info->a, info->b, info->c);
> }
>
> Note that there are two tabs before the "printk", as well as the next
> line. Here with the tabspacing at 8, one extra tab could be used
> before the info->a, but that would mess up if you have the tabspacing
> at anything else than 8. So there is two tabs and 8 spaces before the
> "info->a" line.

Of course, a tab is a tab is a tab, and a tab is 8, NOT 4... Have a look
in Documentation/CodingStyle

> If you adhere to these rules, the sources end up looking much better,
> which is VERY important for a multi-million-lines-of-code project.

But in this case, most of the spaces were in the beginning of the lines,
followed by tabs, something that is completely unnecessary.

And there were quite some spaces at the end of the lines too...

(let c-space-errors=1 is your friend here...)

/David
_ _
// David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /> Northern lights wander \\
// Project MCA Linux hacker // Dance across the winter sky //
\> http://www.acc.umu.se/~tao/ </ Full colour fire </