Re: [Q]: Linux and real device drivers

Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@pobox.com)
Sun, 26 Sep 1999 17:30:57 -0400

Jes Sorensen wrote:

> Tim> On 26 Sep 1999, Jes Sorensen wrote:
> >> This will only work if you have a way of forcing people to update
> >> the documentation when they change the code. People will modify
> >> other peoples' code, sometimes they know what they are doing,
> >> sometimes they don't.
>
> Tim> The same could be said of *any* documentation. The idea is to
> Tim> increase the likelihood of the documentation being correct.
>
> I am not saying we cannot improve our documentation, I am merely
> pointing out that we are dealing with volunteers and it is unrealistic
> to expect them all to do documentation all the time when hacking is
> so much more fun.

No question about that ;)

Any API docs are better than no API docs. Even simply adding stub API
docs is very helpful, because that gives people a central place to look
for a list of public functions they can use in their drivers and other
code.

Jeff

--
Custom driver development	|    Never worry about theory as long
Open source programming		|    as the machinery does what it's