Re: Turning lucent winmodem into soundcard (RT-Linux -when?)

Steve Underwood (steveu@infowebtelecom.com)
Sun, 26 Sep 1999 02:28:39 +0000

"H. Peter Anvin" wrote:

> Followup to: <19990925132301.A31717@glitch.snoozer.net>
> By author: "Gregory T. Norris" <haphazard@socket.net>
> In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel
> >
> > I've got a USR Courier V.EVERYTHING external (originaly x2, flashed to
> > V.90) which does this.
> >

> Yes, the USR Couriers and ZyXEL modems tended to stand out as being
> very featureful, and all in all doing most things right, as opposed to
> the minimum needed to sell a product.

Actually the USR modems usually do this wrong. Their tone detection is
pathetic. The official approved Hong Kong version of the USR Sportster thinks
our Hong Kong dial tone is busy tone, so I have to disable some of the tone
detecting features. In any country the detector will only work part of the
time. International calls obviously screw it. A laptop modem while roaming
needs the tone detector turned off. More significantly, local calls can fail
because many PBXs and other customer premises equipment can create a ring
back far different from the general local ring back.

I think a feature that only works half the time is a bug. Therefore, USR and
ZyXEL modems tend to stand out as being the most bugful.

Steve