Re: Lockups with kernel 2.2.12 and 2.2.10

Wade Hampton (whampton@staffnet.com)
Sat, 25 Sep 1999 10:23:01 -0400

Todd Chauvin wrote:

> > I've had this type of crash as well. Are you using NFS? As a NFS
> > client, I can get my machine to lockup almost every time after loading
> > the machine with copying files from an NFS server, then typing a few
> > simple commands on the NFS client. See my previous posting for full
> > details. After my lockup, I can ping the machine. The SYSRQ keys do work.
> > Are you running SMP?
> >

> NFS was definitely involved in the hung machine. Immediately prior to
> the hang, I had done something like
>
> % cp -r /othermachine/dir ./
>
> where the amount of data copied was several hundred megabytes.
My crashes were after my NFS client had copied a few hundred MB as well.
Copying MP3 files, then doing simple commands locked it up.... This
sounds very similar....

>both
> machines have only a single CPU -- CONFIG_SMP is NOT set. i had typed
> a few trivial commands on the client before the client hung. the command
> that hung the machine was a simple
>
> % cd xx<TAB>
>
> where the <TAB> was to do command-line completion under tcsh. that's when
> the thing locked solid. (the cwd directory at the time was itself NFS
> mounted)

My lockup sequence:
cd some dir on the NFS client
mkdir testfiles
cp <some data> testfiles
ln -s testfiles testfiles-1
rm testfiles-1
mv testfiles testfiles-1
ls testf*

It will usually hang here.... Sounds like a similar problem. Did you
get any messages on your console prior to lockup? Also, you might try
the ikd patch and print %eip (on the console).

> The NFS was linux-2.2.12 server to linux-2.2.12 client, with knfsd-1.4.7 on
> both client and server.
Sounds about like mine but I have knfsd-1.2.2 (RH 6.0).

Cheers,

--
W. Wade, Hampton  <whampton@staffnet.com>