Re: Why is chmod(2)?

Peter Corlett (abuse@cabal.org.uk)
24 Sep 1999 21:05:36 GMT

Alex Nicolaou <anicolao@cgl.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
[...]
> Hmm, I learned something new today. Why can a file with mode 000 be opened
> by root? This facility seems pointless since root can always chmod the
> file?

Because the chmod is intrusive, and what should be a simple read operation
has now turned into a write-read-write operation.

For example, you're backing up a filesystem with 000 files on it. Does tar
*really* have to play with the inode (and thus change the ctime) just to
read a file to back it up? What if it's on a read-only filesystem?

Having the sort of semantics that require this sort of fiddling just gets in
the way, and I'm not convinced it gains anything.