Re: Oops in cgsixfb.c, SparcStation 20/SMP [2.2.12] (fixed, patch)

Chris Noe (stiker@northlink.com)
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 23:21:01 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 24 Sep 1999, Chris Noe wrote:

> Question: I used the irqsave/restore versions of the spinlocks to err on
> the side of caution. How can I tell in which sections I can use the
> non-irq versions? And the only reason to do that anyway would be speed,
> correct? From my reading of spinlocks.txt, it's "only when interrupts are
> disabled" to avoid recursing on the same lock. How can I tell if
> interrupts are disabled when someone enters the cg6 fb code?

Let me rephrase that because it sounds horrible: From my reading of
spinlocks.txt, it's "only when the spinlock isn't toyed with in an
interrupt context" that the non-irq versions can be used ... How can I
tell if I'm in an interrupt context when, for example,
drivers/video/cgsixfb.c: cg6_putcs() is called?

Thanks.

Chris Noe
(stiker@northlink.com)