Re: Mailbox corruption under 2.3.18ac7

Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@pobox.com)
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 19:30:34 -0400

jello@waste.org wrote:
> > but it is pretty fixed. Between sendmail and procmail, however, you
> > might manage enough delay to pile a few pieces of email on top of each
> > other due to local delay (anti-spam DNS lookup, whatever).
>
> Hmm. It didn't look like it was overwriting one email with parts of
> another, it was just the same character over and over.

I'm seeing this w/ 2.3.18ac8, Netscape 4.6 (RH rpm), remote POP3
retrieve, AMD K6-2 350.

This occurs in several recently-received messages: the message header
is interrupted in the middle by approximately 1024 ^@ control
characters. It appears to overwrite the message header and beginning of
the body, as the mailbox folder size does not change pre- and
post-corruption.

Going back to my devel tree, based on Linus' 2.3.18, and the problem
goes away. It is apparently only repeatable by using e-mail 'til it
breaks again.

Jeff

--
Custom driver development	|    Never worry about theory as long
Open source programming		|    as the machinery does what it's