Re: Short question for driver module under different version of Linux

Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 15:40:41 -0700

On Fri, 24 Sep 1999 18:15:10 -0400,
"WANG,YIDING (HP-SanJose,ex1)" <yiding_wang@am.exch.hp.com> wrote:
>I don't have different Liunx release handy. I got feeling that for
>different version of Linux, device driver module has to be comipled under
>that version in order to be loaded in. In another word, driver compiled
>under Linux 2.2.5-15 will not be loaded to other version of Linux, say
>2.2.18 or 2.3.1.

By default, a module compiled for one kernel version will not load
under another kernel version. If you know what you are doing, you can
force a module to load under a different kernel using "insmod -f".
Doing a force load is *DANGEROUS*.