Re: UNIFIX ???

Harald Koenig (koenig@tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de)
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 17:21:28 +0200

On Sep 24, Marc Bechler wrote:

> Hi Linux-Fans!
>
> Can anybody explain me the following phenomenon in the 2.2.5 kernel?
>
> I'm currently trying to modify the process scheduler inside the linux
> kernel. Everything works fine, but when I remove the weight += p->priority;
> line in the goodness function (kernel/sched.c), I got the following message
> after booting:
>
> "POSIX conformance testing by UNIFIX"
>
> I do not know where this message comes from, but I know that removing this
> line works fine in previous versions of the kernel (e.g., 2.2.1).

find & grep are your friends:

find /usr/src/linux/. -name \*.c | xargs grep UNIFIX
/usr/src/linux/./init/main.c: printk("POSIX conformance testing by UNIFIX\n");

and looking at start-kernel() in main.c shows that this message
shows up at _every_ boot...

> AFAIK POSIX only standardized how to treat real-time tasks within the UNIX
> OS, but this kind of modification is for common tasks. Can anybody explain
> me what UNIFIX is and where this message comes from? Questions over

UNIFIX was an early german Linux distributor which contributed quite some
kernel work. unfortuneately they have disapeared:(

> questions, but thanks for giving me some help.
>
> marc
>
> ===
>
> Marc Bechler
> Institute of Telematics, University of Karlsruhe (TH)
> Zirkel 2, 76128 Karlsruhe, Germany
> Phone: +49 721 608 6400, Fax: +49 721 388097
> mailto:m.bechler@ieee.org
>

> -

Harald

--
All SCSI disks will from now on                     ___       _____
be required to send an email notice                0--,|    /OOOOOOO\