Re: PATCHES (unused code/vars...) for 2.3.18ac8

Thierry vignaud (tvignaud@mandrakesoft.com)
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 15:51:37 +0200

Alan Cox wrote:
> > > This is a syscall you cant go around deleting arguments
> >
> > well, as i am on a solaris box for now, i can't check it but it seems to
> > me it's not in the 169 official syscalls and thus may be optimized by
> > not push/pop unused parameters. Am i wrong ?
>
> Its a syscall. If you are going to post patches please test them.

i did

> > > This variable IS used.
> > Where ?
>
> Non x86

> > > These are parameters passed by the calling function
> >
> > but there are not used !
>
> Please read a book on the C language. It doesn't matter if they are used or
> not you can't go around deleting them. This is beginner level programming.

It's why i say i make the diff before altering function callings as i
did for other stuff...
if you really want it, i can resend the whole patch with fixed functions
points (but not before monday as i leave my university for the week-end)
Flaming people before reading the whole message isn't very productive,
particularly for a forgoten diff that can easily be fixed.
anyway, i won't argue more with you as you've a better experience than
me in kernel programming.

> > > These are values used on other platforms
> >
> > maybe we can turn this in a macro that developp in
> > __real_flush_tlb_range on ia32 and other archs where it'sn't used ?
>
> What for - gcc isnt stupid.

sometimes it is. depending of version and optimizing level, gcc generate
lot of stupid opcodes (ia32 is particularly bugged) that slowly
disapear. i've seen multiple load of a value in registers, mulitple
reload of a non volatile register, pop and posh/moveq)of the same
register without any opcode between, inlining functions both kept as
function
and inlined, jumps bypassing nops, ...

<End of bersek mode>

One friend of mine has encountered the floppy bug when the eide driver
claim to use ressources used by the fdc. so it's not an alpha bug as
someone fixed it.
The guy say me that this bug is a few weeks old.
Have you a clue about it ?

Thanks.

PS: i cannot mail you directely:
... while talking to lightning.swansea.uk.linux.org.:
>>> RCPT To:<alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>
<<< 550 rejected: administrative prohibition
550 <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>... User unknown

Sorry for not answer you directely but we've some mta problems with
some servers