Re: v2.3.17pre1 - Patches, Complaints, Questions and Jubilations

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Mon, 6 Sep 1999 09:44:13 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 6 Sep 1999, David Weinehall wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Sep 1999, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> >
> > IKD will never be merged because impact lots of common code. I want to be
> > sure to only fix (and not add 8) bugs with IKD.
>
> Ok. Are there ANY parts of IKD that are worth to merge, that don't disrupt
> the main code-paths when not compiled in?

The SMP automatic deadlock detection parts of the IKD are extremely
simple, impact none of the mainline code, and are occasionally very
useful.

I've certainly considered integrating those, although if I do (or
preferably if somebody else does ;) I suspect I'd be happier just leaving
them on all the time rather than making them a config option - they are
_that_ non-intrusive.

Linus