Re: 2.2.12 Memory Leak?

G.W. Wettstein (greg@wind.enjellic.com)
Mon, 6 Sep 1999 02:46:37 -0500

On Sep 4, 9:27pm, Heinz Diehl wrote:
} Subject: Re: 2.2.12 Memory Leak?

On Thu Sep 02 1999, Alan Cox wrote:

> [buffer cache leak]
> > Can you see if 2.2.13pre3 fixes the leak
>
> I'm afraid it isn't fixed.

> As I can see it so far it behaves just like the clean 2.2.12,
> buffer cache is filled, then free mem gets filled and the
> swap memory increases also more and more. A few runs of innd
> crunching the newsspool/-databases will show it.
>
> I'll try it one or two days in addition to see if it's really
> this thing we talk about, but I'm very afraid it is.

We are looking for a stable late model 2.2.x kernel for our production
systems. We have been lucky in that we haven't seen any problems in
the kernels that we have advanced past 2.2.7. Since we have a HA
mission we are considered with any reports of corruption or memory
leaks that we do hear of. Hence we have been slow to migrate past
2.2.7.

It would seem that our experience with 2.2.12 plus Alan's patches are
a little different. I have a production news server which is running
2-3 gigabytes a day of news and it appears to be fine after about 3
days. Here is what the memory looks like:

total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 258076 254440 3636 61744 87672 113364
-/+ buffers/cache: 53404 204672
Swap: 261496 2308 259188

The machine is a dual PII-300 Intel FX MB with a DPT RAID controller
running SMP2.2.12+Alan/Dave's memleak patch.

We also have a production box running a Squid server being fed by an
18 gigabyte DAC960 RAID0 set. The machine is a dual PII-350 with a
late model Intel MB. We have about 3 days on essentially the same
kernel as the news server (DPT->DAC960)+Memleak and the memory
consumption pattern appears to be normal.

It would thus appear that the leak may be somewhat hardware or usage
pattern dependent.

> ++ Heinz

Greg

}-- End of excerpt from Heinz Diehl

As always,
Dr. G.W. Wettstein Enjellic Systems Development - Specializing
4206 N. 19th Ave. in information infra-structure solutions.
Fargo, ND 58102 WWW: http://www.enjellic.com
Phone: 701-281-1686 EMAIL: greg@enjellic.com